Friday, November 13, 2009

Question for african-american women?

I am having a constant problem with breakage and intense itching, specifically in the top of my head in the center. Also, at the back of my head in the center. This has been going on for the past 9 or 10 years. The hair in the top center of my head grows back very coarse and feels very dry and brittle. The texture is completely different than the other new growth that I get. It also itches very badly once the new growth starts to come out. After I get a relaxer, it itches for a bit but then it goes away. But three weeks later, when the new growth starts to come, it automatically snaps off when I comb it. The dry texture also comes back. There are fine and weak strands of hair in this area that are all lengths. Some of the hair is broken off down to the scalp. It almost looks like somebody took some scissors to my hair. I don't get it. I have been going to a really good hairdresser for the past few months. My hair does feel better overall, but that area is still a problem.



Question for african-american women?

OK, this is a tough problem. I am an African-American woman and here is what I would try if I were you:



1) First, I would go to my doctor. Since you have a medical condition that may be exacerbating the problem, a doctor should be the first visit. If I were you, I might also see preferably an African-American female dermatologist who can help with hair issues specific to African-American hair types.



2) For the itching, I would shampoo with Kera Care Dry and Itchy Scalp Shampoo and Conditioner. Essence magazine readers rated it highest for shampoos for itchy scalp and I have had success with them for my scalp. Kera Care's products are featured on their website at www.keracare.com/avlon.html.



3) After washing and conditioning and while your hair is still wet, I would apply a hair moisturizing product that is plant-oil based rather than mineral-oil based, concentrating on the challenging area. Cheap products like Luster's Pink Oil and even baby oil for skin rely on mineral oil which is an inexpensive but low-quality oil that does not do as great a job of moisturizing hair as products that are plant oil based. Quality plant oil-based hair moisturizers are expensive but worth it. It's important to do this while your hair is still damp because that's what moisturizers are really meant to do - lock in moisture from water. I had to learn from reading about hair that moisturizers don't moisturize in and of themselves - they lock in what moisture is already there. (I favor Hair Balm from the company Carol's Daughter because it does a good job and you can get away with using a small amount so the product lasts. Check out www.carolsdaughter.com for more information about their products. You might see another product you'd like to try. If you don't like to order online, their website offers store locations nearest you.)



Then style your hair as usual. If you can swing it, I would do this at least twice a week.



Now my question for you: Is there normal hair in front that could possibly hide this more challenging area you are asking about? If so, after washing, conditioning, and moisturizing, I might try cornrowing the challenging area (if it's long enough) and letting the normal hair hide the cornrow in a style somehow or setting up the cornrow in a style that shows and is comfortable for you. Cornrowing the challenging area will keep you from combing through it when it's at its most vulnerable and will strengthen the hair.



Also, let me say that ultimately what works for you will be an exercise in trial and error since what works for others may or may not work for you. I am 31 years old and have basically found my personal hair care regimen but through much trial and error. As I'm sure you already know, if you keep trying new things until you find whatever works you'll get there.



Good luck with this and I wish you the best!



Question for african-american women?

uhmmmm....I think you just need some moisturizer. I feel really bad. That sounds like it's terrible. I hope thi helps. Love ya. xoxo...閳绢檲rie閳?br>Question for african-american women?



I know I'm not Arfican-American, but i think u might need to see a doctor or dermantologist...



Question for african-american women?

Seeing a dermatologist is the way to go. On the very bottom of the back of my head I've had some problems. Not nearly as bad as yours but still bad. It was really really dry and mind you...I have a really oily head. The dematologist gave me liquid "steroids" for my head. Its a liquid that I put on every night. You may have folliculitis. Go to a dermatologist asap.



Hope you get better.



Question for african-american women?

I have heard of hair problems like this being a symptom of PCOS.



I'm also not African-American, but I agree that you should see a dermatologist. It could very well be that it's some skin problem that the hair loss is just secondary to. A good dermatologist is the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment